JETAABC is excited to invite high school students learning Japanese to participate in the Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl. The Japan Bowl® is a Japanese language and culture competition for high school students who are studying Japanese. The Japan-America Society of Washington DC organized and hosted the first Japan Bowl in 1992. The competition has since been expanding overseas and is now held in Poland, England, Italy, Mexico, Serbia, Bulgaria, France, etc. The inaugural Canadian Japan Bowl was held in Vancouver in 2018.
Teams comprise of 2 to 3 members. During the competition, questions are read out verbally in both English and Japanese. The top three teams from the Preliminary Round will proceed to the Championship Round.
Check out this video to get an overview of the Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl.
Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl 2022 Team Registration
Team Applications are to be submitted by the teacher.
Canadian students who study Japanese at the high school level are eligible to compete at the Japan Bowl.
- Students who are native speaker of Japanese or who use Japanese at home are not eligible to compete.
- Students who have had significant exposure to Japanese language and/or culture outside the high school curriculum are not eligible to compete. For example, students who have spent a cumulative total of three months or more in Japan might not be eligible to compete.
- Students form teams of two or three.
- Applications are submitted by teachers on behalf of students. Schools may register multiple teams, up to a maximum of three. Each team will need to be registered separately. To register, click here.
- Pay competition fees to confirm registration. Link found on registration form.
- Registration Fee: $10 per team
Application Deadline: Monday February 28, 2022.
NOTE: Please note that images taken during the event may be used for reports, SNS, etc.
2022 Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl Details
1．Date and Location
- Date: Saturday March 12, 2022.
- Location: Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Center (* May be switched to online, dependent on health regulations)
2．2022 MVJB Topics
- Map of Japan & major regions
- Climate, natural environment & population
- Location & general information
- Seasons in Japanese culture
- Manners & Body Language (etiquette)
- Daily Customs & Home Life
- Current Events & Canada-Japan Relations
This Year’s Special Topics:
- History: Meiji ~ Heisei Periods 1868~2019
- Society: Government, economy, business
- Contemporary Culture: Visual arts (major genres & examples)
- Japan’s Regions- festivals, sites, history, products: Chubu region like Hokuriku, Tokai, Ko-shin’etsu * (Additional regions TBD)
Click here for the 2022 Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl Study Guide.
Interested in supporting the competition in other ways?
Organizing Committee & Volunteers
The Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl team is looking for enthusiastic volunteers interested in working with the Organizing Committee to make 2022 Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl a success. Please sign up here.
Event Sponsors & Partners
Would you like to contribute prizes or goody bag items? As a sponsor/partner, your logo would be displayed at the event and in event publications. If you are interested to learn more about the different opportunities or have questions, please email metrovancouverjapanbowl [at] gmail.com.
Performers and Workshop Instructors
In additional to the competition, the day’s programming includes performances by local artists as well as cultural or skill workshops that enrich student’s experience with different aspects of Japanese culture. If you would like to learn more, please email metrovancouverjapanbowl [at] gmail.com.
If you have any questions about the Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl, contact JETAABC at metrovancouverjapanbowl [at] gmail.com.