Statement of Values
Japan Exchange and Teaching Alumni Association of British Columbia (JETAABC) strives to create a welcoming, positive, and supportive environment in which diverse individuals can interact, collaborate, and develop trustworthy relationships through the JETAABC community and activities.
- To provide a community for alumni who have returned from Japan
- To foster a connection between Japan and the BC and Yukon communities
- To support and promote the JET Programme
Who is Covered
All JETAABC members, JETAABC board of directors, volunteers, and participants in JETAABC-organized events who may or may not be JETAABC members.
- Treat others with respect, kindness and empathy, as you wish to be treated yourself
- Actively contribute to an inclusive community and a respectful environment for all
- Speak up when you detect any behaviour which does not adhere to the JETAABC Code of Conduct
- Actively work towards conflict resolution and ensure that everyone’s voice is heard
JETAABC is committed to maintaining an environment that is free of harassment, so everyone can feel safe and happy in the JETAABC community. We will not tolerate anyone intimidating, humiliating, or sabotaging others in our community. We also prohibit wilful discrimination based on age, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, religion, or disability.
- Treat others with respect
- Never harass or retaliate
- Report incidents of harassment or retaliation
Process for Incident Reporting
- Please report any incidents of behaviour that are counter to the JETAABC Code of Conduct by using the JETAABC contact form here: https://www.jetaabc.ca/report or by emailing email@example.com. We appreciate you including all relevant details (i.e. context: who, what, where, when, screenshots etc.) that will assist us in understanding the violation. As the person alerting us to the issue, your anonymity and privacy will be protected to the greatest extent possible.
- JETAABC takes violation reports seriously – we will investigate all violations and will follow through with any corrective action that is deemed necessary. A subcommittee composed of several JETAABC board members and a non-board member from the JETAABC public will discuss the report. If one of the subcommittee members is involved in the report (either as a reportee or as subject of the report), an alternate subcommittee member will be substituted.
- In the case of a breach of the Code of Conduct, this may result in disciplinary action including but not limited to cancellation or suspension of registration from current or future events, cancellation of volunteer activities, removal from JETAABC board of directors, and/or “blacklisting” from any future JETAABC activities.
- The reportee and subject of the report will be notified as to the subcommittee’s decision as necessary.