JETAABC is excited to invite high school students learning Japanese to participate in the fourth Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl on Saturday March 13, 2021. The Japan Bowl® is a Japanese language and culture competition for high school students who are studying Japanese. The Japan-America Society of Washington DC organized and hosted the first Japan Bowl in 1992. The competition has since been expanding overseas and is now held in Poland, England, Italy, Mexico, Serbia, Bulgaria, France, etc. The inaugural Canadian Japan Bowl was held in Vancouver .
Teams comprise of 2 to 3 members. Applications are submitted by the teacher:
1．Date and Location
Date: Saturday March 13, 2021.
Team Fees: $10 from now until January 31, increasing to $20 from February 1 – 28
The 2021 Japan Bowl questions will cover the following topics:
- History: Unification and Edo Pd. 1560 – 1868
- Medical, police, fire
- Trash/ recycling
- Disaster preparedness
- Contemporary Culture:
- Entertainment – anime, manga, games, music, films in 21st C
- Sports: major events, athletes 2020-21
- Japan’s Regions- festivals, sites, history, products:
- Basic Geography
- Map of Japan & major regions
- Climate, natural environment & population
- Location & general information
- Seasons in Japanese culture
- Manners & Body Language
- Daily Customs & Home Life
- Current Events & Canada-Japan Relations
The questions will be asked in English or Japanese. The top three teams from the Preliminary Round will proceed to the Championship Round.
Canadian students who study Japanese at the high school level are eligible to compete at the Japan Bowl.
- Students who are native speaker of Japanese or who use Japanese at home are not eligible to compete.
- Students who have had significant exposure to Japanese language and/or culture outside the high school curriculum are not eligible to compete. For example, students who have spent a cumulative total of three months or more in Japan might not be eligible to compete.
4．Application Deadline: Sunday February 28, 2021.
- Students from teams of two or three.
- Applications are submitted by teachers on behalf of students. For each team member, please provide full name and age. Schools may register multiple teams, up to a maximum of three – please fill in a separate form for each team. To register, click here.
- Pay competition fees to confirm registration ($10 from now until January 31, increasing to $20 from February 1 – 28)
If you have any questions about the Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl, contact JETAABC at email@example.com.
Please note that images taken at the event may be used for reports, SNS, etc. The Championship Round may also be live streamed.
Check out this video to get an overview of the Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl. Please note that this year’s competition will be held online and some adaptation may be required to make this transition.
8．Interested in supporting the competition in other ways?
- Organizing Committee / Event Volunteers: The Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl team is looking for enthusiastic volunteers interested in working with the Organizing Committee to make Digital Japan Bowl a success. Please sign up here.
- Event Sponsor: Would you like to contribute prizes or goody bag? As a sponsor, your logo would be displayed at the event and in event publications. We are also exploring opportunity to set up virtual sponsor booths. Check out the 2021 Sponsorship Package (English / Japanese). If you are interested to learn more about the different sponsorship opportunities or have questions, please email metrovancouverjapanbowl [at] gmail.com.