JETAABC is excited to invite high school students learning Japanese to participate in the third Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl on Sunday February 23, 2020.
The Japan Bowl® is a Japanese language and culture competition for high school students who are studying Japanese. The Japan-America Society of Washington DC organized and hosted the first Japan Bowl in 1992. The competition has since been expanding overseas and is now held in Poland, England, Italy, Mexico, Serbia, Bulgaria, France, etc. The inaugural Canadian Japan Bowl was held in 2018.
Teams comprise of 2 to 3 members. Applications are submitted by the teacher:
1．Date and Location
Date: Sunday February 23, 2020.
Location: Nikkei National Museum & Cultural Centre
Team Registration: $10 from now until January 31, increasing to $20 from February 1 – 18
Applications are submitted by teachers on behalf of students.For each team member, please provide full name and age. Thank you for filling in a separate form for each team.
The 2020 Japan Bowl questions will cover the following topics:
- History: Classical/Medieval Era Nara to Sengoku Periods 710–1560
- Social Science: Industry, Technology, and Infrastructure:
- Major industries, companies, and technologies
- Information, communication, and transportation networks
- Daily Life & Society
- School culture
- Work Culture
- Rites of life
- Religious practices
- Arts & Culture:
- Traditional performing arts (theater, music, comedy, etc.)
- Martial arts
- Popular Culture
- Olympics/Paralympics Sports
- Tourism, travel, and souvenirs
- Canada-Japan Relations
- Current Events
The questions will be asked in English or Japanese. The top three teams from the Preliminary Round will proceed to the Championship Round.
Canadian students who study Japanese at the high school level are eligible to compete at the Japan Bowl.
- Students who are native speaker of Japanese or who use Japanese at home are not eligible to compete.
- Students who have had significant exposure to Japanese language and/or culture outside the high school curriculum are not eligible to compete. For example, students who have spent a cumulative total of three months or more in Japan might not be eligible to compete.
Tuesday February 18, 2020.
(1) The application should be submitted by the teacher of the team of two or three students. Individual student cannot apply directly. Multiple teams (up to a maximum of three) may be registered per school.
(2) Please fill out Registration Form (Click here)
(3) Registration is $10 from now until January 31, increasing to $20 from February 1 – 18
Please note that photos taken at the event will be used for the reports, SNS, etc.
If you have any questions about the Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl, contact JETAABC at email@example.com.
Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl Information Sheet– Feel free to post or distribute to to students and teachers.