2019 Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl
JETAABC is excited to invite high school students learning Japanese to participate in the second Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl on Saturday March 9, 2019.
The Japan Bowl® is a Japanese language and culture competition for high school students who are studying Japanese. The Japan-America Society of Washington DC organized and hosted the first Japan Bowl in 1992. The competition has since been expanding overseas and is now held in Poland, England, Italy, Mexico, Serbia, Bulgaria, France, etc. The inaugual Canadian Japan Bowl was held February 24, 2018. For photos and a complete summary of the event, please click here to view the 2018 Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl Report.
Teams comprise of 2 to 3 members. Applications are submitted by the teacher: https://goo.gl/forms/to91S9h37H5K9Zl82
1．Date and Location
Date: Saturday March 9, 2019
Location: Nikkei National Museum and Cultural Centre
Team Registration: $10
Online payment (Email if you need to arrange alternative methods of payment):
Applications are submitted by teachers on behalf of students.
For each team member, please provide full name and age.
Thank you for filling in a separate form for each team.
The 2019 Japan Bowl questions will cover the following topics:
- History: The Modern Era Meiji ~ Heisei Pds. 1868-present
- Social Science: Government & Economics
- Constitution, government structures, national politics, and international treaties
- Major economic trends/organizations, trade
- National symbols
- Daily Life & Society
- Manners, etiquette, gestures
- Japanese homes
- Traditional food, clothing
- Traditional games
- Arts & Culture:
- Literary/film classics
- Japanese poetry
- Folk tales, children’s stories
- Famous authors
The questions will be asked in English or Japanese. The top three teams from the Preliminary Round will proceed to the Championship Round.
Canadian students who study Japanese at the high school level are eligible to compete at the Japan Bowl.
- Students who are native speaker of Japanese or who use Japanese at home are not eligible to compete.
- Students who have had significant exposure to Japanese language and/or culture outside the high school curriculum are not eligible to compete. For example, students who have spent a cumulative total of three months or more in Japan might not be eligible to compete.
4．Application Deadline: Monday March 4, 2019
(1) The application should be submitted by the teacher of the team of two or three students. Individual student cannot apply directly. Multiple teams (up to a maximum of three) may be registered per school.
(2) Please fill out Registration Form : https://goo.gl/forms/to91S9h37H5K9Zl82
(3) Registration is $10/ team
Please note that photos taken at the event will be used for the reports, SNS, etc.
If you have any questions about the Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl, contact JETAABC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Metro Vancouver Japan Bowl Information Sheet– Feel free to post or distribute to to students and teachers.